Smoking materials blamed for $150,000 damage in north side house fire

By Geoff Smith (@GeoffSmithLNN on Twitter)
November 30, 2017 - 9:05am Updated: November 30, 2017 - 9:36am

LETHBRIDGE –   Careless disposal of smoking materials is being blamed for a house fire in north Lethbridge that caused $150,000 damage.

Nearly two dozen firefighters from four stations were called at around 8:45 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 29 to a house on the 100 block of 15 St. N. They arrived to find smoke coming from the first and second floors of the home.

Everyone inside, including a pet, escaped without injury.
 
Fire investigator Adam Saturley told LethbridgeNewsNOW that damage was extensive.
 
"There was smoke, heat and water damage - being that it was an older home, once the fire got inside the walls, it spread very quickly."

The fire department is once again reminding people to dispose of cigarettes safely, using a non-combustible container, preferably with water in it.
 

Light festival makes Nikka Yuko a winter attraction

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.