RED DEER – Former Innisfail-Sylvan Lake MLA Don MacIntyre has been sentenced to three years in prison for sexually touching a girl numerous times when she was 10 years old.
MacIntyre pleaded guilty in Red Deer Court of Queen’s Bench to a count of sexual interference earlier in the day on Friday, Jan. 11.
The 63-year-old resigned in February of last year after he was charged with sexual assault and sexual interference. He had represented the Innisfail-Sylvan Lake riding for the United Conservative Party after being elected under the Wildrose Party banner in 2015.
An agreed statement of facts said MacIntyre touched the victim sexually with a part of his body five to 10 times between Jan. 1, 2010, and Dec. 31, 2011.
A publication ban was initially placed on MacIntyre's name but was lifted following a challenge by several media outlets. Any information relating to the child’s identity cannot be published.
MacIntyre pleaded guilty in relation to incidents which took place between January 2010 and December 2011 involving a young child under the age of 14.
The touching happened between five to 10 times when the victim was 10 years old. She came forward in 2015.
"After the assaults took place, (the victim) felt depressed and thought about killing herself," the statement said. "She would visualize stabbing herself and killing herself."
Court heard MacIntyre apologized after the assaults, asked for forgiveness and said it was part of "Satan's plan to destroy (the victim's) faith."
An agreed statement of facts has been read in court.
Reading her victim impact statement Friday morning, the victim cried as she told the court the abuse caused her to give up creative pursuits that made her happy.
"It hurt my chest and I felt sick to my stomach all the time," she said.
She said she sometimes thought she was imagining things. When MacIntyre finally apologized, "I was so relieved I was not losing my mind," she said.
She told the court she still has nightmares and is often angry.
"I will carry this rage I have for him to my grave."
Crown prosecutor Julie Snowdon is seeking a sentence of between three to 3.5 years behind bars. The Crown is also requesting MacIntyre submit a DNA sample and that he not have any contact with the victim during his sentence.
Defence lawyer Ian McKay is requesting two years.
The maximum sentence for sexual interference is 14 years while the minimum is one year.
Justice Deborah A. Yungwirth will announce her sentencing decision at 1:30 p.m. At that time a count of sexual assault against MacIntyre will be withdrawn.
The United Conservative caucus issued a statement Friday condemning MacIntyre.
"We hope this disgusting individual faces the full extent of the law in sentencing for his odious crime. Our thoughts remain with the victim and all those affected at this time."
Clean and Safe Downtown BRZ info session hears concerns from business owners, organizations
LETHBRIDGE - The second "Clean and Safe Downtown Information Session" hosted by the city's Downtown...
READ MORE +
As deficit grows, the Federal Budget spends more on a wide variety programs
OTTAWA -- The Federal Budget is expected to sink Canadians deeper into the red this year as the...
READ MORE +
United Conservative leader focuses on economy as Alberta election called
LEDUC -- The leader of the United Conservatives says he will focus on jobs, the economy and...
READ MORE +
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.