Stay informed with the LNN Daily Newsletter
Charges have been laid in connection to a collision that resulted in two youths being hospitalized. (Photo: Lethbridge News Now)

Lethbridge man charged in pedestrian collision that injured teens

Mar 31, 2025 | 11:09 AM

The Lethbridge Police Service (LPS) has apprehended a man who is accused in a pedestrian collision.

It occurred at approximately 7:45 a.m. on Tuesday, March 25, 2025, at the intersection of 17 Street South and 3 Avenue South.

LPS says two 17-year-old boys were crossing at the crosswalk when they were struck by an eastbound SUV.

Both of the victims were hospitalized. One of them suffered significant injuries but is expected to recover.

“While sun glare is believed to be a factor in the collision, following numerous witness interviews along with a review of video surveillance evidence, police determined the crosswalk lights had been activated while the boys were crossing and other vehicles had stopped for them,” reads a news release from LPS.

Landon Eric Veluw, 24, of Lethbridge, is charged under the Traffic Safety Act with careless driving and failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. The charges require a mandatory court appearance that has been scheduled for June 10.

The Holy Spirit Catholic School Division says both of the victims are students of the division and that the collision was within the vicinity of Catholic Central High School East.

Motorists are reminded to adjust their driving to the weather, road and environmental conditions.

READ MORE: Two teens injured in Lethbridge collision

For local news delivered daily to your email inbox, subscribe for free to the Lethbridge News Now newsletter here. You can also download the Lethbridge News Now mobile app in the Google Play and the Apple App Stores.