Uttering threats charge withdrawn against Lethbridge student

By Patrick Burles - @PatrickBurles on Twitter
February 14, 2018 - 4:37pm

LETHBRIDGE – The Crown has withdrawn a charge of uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm against an 18-year-old Lethbridge man, in connection with an incident at Winston Churchill High School in January.

In a media release from the Lethbridge Police Service, they stated that around 10:20 a.m. on Jan. 8, they responded to the school following a report that a student had threatened to harm another student with a firearm. Officers went to the school as a precautionary measure, and after a brief search, found the suspect in question. They noted that no firearms were recovered, and no one was injured.

Police said two students had been walking near the school when they were approached by another teen who made threatening comments regarding another student. When they arrived at school, they notified staff and police were contacted.

As a result of an LPS investigation, Dillon James Grant was charged.

After withdrawing the threats charge on Wednesday, Feb. 14, Crown prosecutor Michael Fox explained that it appeared Grant had been angry with another individual when he made a comment to two students. He said that for the Crown to get a criminal conviction on the charge, there would need to be an element of intimidation towards the other student, and it does not appear there was any intent to do so or that any intimidation occurred.

Based on that, Fox said they wouldn’t have been able to get a conviction, leading them to withdraw the charge.

Psychological assessment ordered for man accused of trying to kill his parents

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.